I can’t say enough about Allan McKay. He’s an exceptional artist and instructor. He’s always on the bleeding edge of special effects and is always coming up with new workshop ideas. He’s an asset to cgsociety.
Biljana Jankovic, CG Society & Ballistic Media
Allan McKay is an award winning Visual Effects Supervisor and Director, originating from the Gold Coast of Australia, now living in California in the United States for Hollywood studios including Warner Bro’s, Prime Focus Company - Frantic Films, Emmy award winning Digital Dimension and Oscar nominated Blur Studio, as well as George Lucas’ Emmy award winning company Industrial Light + Magic, amongst dozens of others all around the world.
Keeping busy, Allan’s day to day changes, speaking all over the world at events and University and conference Master Classes – as well as writing on industry topics, but also for various popular lifestyle web sites and magazines. Allan is also the owner of visual effects studio, Catastrophic FX. While also expanding his ultra-successful product line on Hollywood film training, primarily aimed at advanced audiences and senior studio staff to grasp many of the latest methods and techniques, utilized throughout dozens of studios including Blizzard Cinematics, Ubisoft, Blur Studio and Nintendo..As well, in more recent years directing several large profile game cinematics, commercials and music videos in New York and Sydney.
Allan has personally been awarded and recognized as an Autodesk Master, receiving his Autodesk Masters award at SIGGRAPH conference in San Diego 2007, as well as working major film projects including Superman Returns, Day Breakers, Warhammer: Dawn of war, Super bowl XXXIX and hundreds of others, many of which have been nominated or won various awards including Oscar and Emmy awards.
A strong believer in balancing work and personal life. Allan McKay is responsible for building the 3-6-3 lifestyle method, for gaining freedom back from the dreary 9-5 work life, utilizing your career as a vehicle to promote freedom to follow personal goals and dreams, rather than work AS a lifestyle. And to promote independent career and personal growth. Allan also travels the world speaking on career based subjects including topics such as fast tracking your career and finding your niche within your industry.
Also tied to various charities and educational programs, including One laptop per Child Association. Allan McKay is soon to be announcing multiple new projects tied to generating revenue specifically for various charity organizations and associations, which all proceeds will go directly to supporting and educating children in the developing world.
Allan has amassed a diverse list of credentials including:
- SIGGRAPH Master class speaker six years in a row at all events in Los Angeles, San Diego and other locations and panelist for audiences up to 3,000 people alongside other speakers from ILM, Pixar, Sony Imageworks, Blur and Digital Domain
- Guest speaker at more than 50 events world wide as one of the leaders in his field of Hollywood visual effects
- Key instructor for CG Society's CG online workshop on multiple subjects, with nearly every class of 35 selling out instantly
- Autodesk Max Master, as well as receiving or working on projects nominated for various Academy awards, Promax and Emmy awards
- Privately held large workshops for many industry leading companies world wide on advanced visual effects topics for games and film, designed for their senior teams for studios including Ubisoft and Frantic Films
- Established business and career motivational speaker
- Established Director, Script Writer and Producer for several TV Commercials, Music Videos and Game Cinematics
- A key contributor to the Bachelor of interactive entertainment's curriculum for Queensland College of Art
- Runner up paper rock scissor Australian champion
- long time contribute to popular mechanics and 3d world magazine, recognized as a leader in his industry
- Highly acclaimed veteran in the fine arts of consuming alcohol
Personal interests of his include anything from surfing and jet skis all the way to bartending, martial arts and acting. Allan's career interests are focussed around business, writing, film and motivational speaking
Any opportunity available for Allan to try new restaurants and cocktail bars, foods and crazy drinks and of course travel - he is well on his way to achieving his personal goal of crossing off his list of every bar on the Jamesons top 100 worlds best bars (really!)
As a sign of true leadership, Allan has given me the opportunity to learn how to focus myself further in spite of external pressure and inspire others in their time of need. Not to mention the vast technical expertise he possesses...
Dennis Mejillones, Tronic Studio
Allan was such an inspiration to work for. He was one of the most professional company directors, and that is in addition to his immense knowledge and crazy talent. He solves major problems and handles crazy schedules all without breaking stride.
DJ Nicke, Animation Salvation
Allan is one of the best visual effects TD/artist in the industry" .."he always delivered jaw dropping work, at lightning fast speed.
Carlos Anguiano, Industrial Light + Magic